So this past weekend, I competed for the first time as a blue belt at the IBJJF Atlanta Winter Open and it was a great experience. I received my blue belt back in September right after there Atlanta Summer Open. There were some differences from competing as a white belt to a blue belt and most of them are good.
- I now compete earlier in the day vs. later in the afternoon. I prefer earlier so I can get back to eating.
- Now I can do the open class vs. as a white belt there is no open class.
- It didn’t apply to this tournament, but I can now do no-gi tournament since I have received my blue belt since white belts are not allowed to.
- Just have a different mindset now being a blue belt vs a white belt.
This time my division had 6 people in it, it always interesting that registration will close and have only 4 but then some how 2 more people appear 2 days after it has closed. So I got the bye in the first round so in the second round I went up against a woman who was taller and probably heavier than me. She basically laied on top of me for the entire round at the end I started trying to come up but she won on point. I was very proud of my performance for some reason people may think is crazy but here they are:
- My gi top did not come over my head.
- She did not yank my gi top over my head.
- My pants did not come down
- My rash guard did not come up .
- My belt stayed tied the entire match
Most people who roll with me know what kind of feat that was not have that happen.
If you would like to watch my match here is the link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOY-CBgi6wY
Because I had the bye in the first round, I ended up with 3rd place for this tournament.
I then waited around until the open which was supposed to go on at 5:40 but we probably didn’t start the Blue Belt Adult female divisions until 6:30. My first match in this division was against another Super Heavy girl who had taken 2nd in our division. I don’t have a video of that match, but she won on points by getting me into the guard and i would try to break it and she would get me right back into her guard. I could tell she was very frustrated with me. She busted both my top and bottom lip so I bled all over her nice white gi. She may have won the match, but she will always have my blood on her gi. So now I have that tournament out of the way and have stuff to start working on.
I do have a question though: does anyone else get super hungry after tournaments? I do by what I ate after the tournament. I ate all of it.
Today will be a two post day as I will also being doing my meal planning for this week later today.